- Keep your Township address (2876 Island 12, etc) by or stuck to the phone.
This is synched with the township’s emergency services and with the OPP – it might help either service find you upon a call to 911.
- Order a 911 sign
Then, Creat a Personal Safety Plan
It is recommended that every site create a Personal Safety Plan site along these lines:
- Print out key medical and fire emergency information for your family, guests and renters, including the GHB Emergency Medical Information and driving instructions to the Barrie and Parry Sound medical facilities. Post them in an accessible location in the cottage.
- Call 9-1-1 first in cases of personal injury or fire.
- If you don‘t have a car in King Bay, consider making arrangements to borrow a car in case you need to get to the Parry Sound Health Centre. This is the closest major hospital and was renovated in 2007.
- Keep your health insurance cards with you for hospital visits or at least a record of their numbers.
- Familiarize yourself with the location and operation of the fire pump closest to your cottage.
- Develop a local fire and emergency response plan with immediate neighbours. Identify those who have a fast boat.
- Test your running lights regularly; keep an inventory of spare parts to ensure that they are always in good working order.
Marine Coast Guard Emergency Services: 1-800-267-7270
Boat or air ambulance assistance
The coast guard will dispatch a boat or the helicopter from the Honey Harbour area that will have a medic on board. They will coordinate with 911 if a land ambulance is needed.
The coast guard will need to know
- Your GPS coordinates (latitude and longitude)
- Your location on the marine charts ( island name, location relative to named locations on the charts)
- Description of cottage etc.
OR Call *16 on your cell and your GPS coordinates will automatically show up for the coast guard.
If the emergency is less dire: Call 911
For a normal ambulance to meet you in King Bay or Moose Deer Point
Canada Coast Guard
- Report a navigation hazard: (519) 336-4003
- Report marine pollution: (800) 265-0237
- General: (613) 941-6517
Ontario Provincial Police - Emergency Number: 888-310-1122
Southern Georgian Bay Detachment - Non-Emergency number: 705-526-3761
16864 Hwy. 12, Midland, ON.
- To report power failures or to get status updates: 800-434-1235
- To report a line down or life threatening emergency call 9-1-1
Telehealth Ontario: 866-797-0000
Free access to registered nurse 24/7
This service provides access to qualified health professionals who can assess your symptoms and help you decide your best first step. Advice is confidential. Your health insurance number is not required.
Clinics and Hospitals
Midland Location: 705-526-1300
1112 St. Andrew's Drive Midland, ON L4R 4P4
All emergencies must report to Midland Site. Use for snake bites, emergency room and any reproductive care.
Penetang Location: 705-526-1300
25 Jeffery Street Penetanguishene, ON L9M 1K6
170 Colborne Street West, Orillia
- Take Provincial Route 12 from Coldwater - this turns into Coldwater Road West.
- Turn right onto Westmount Drive North.
- Turn left onto Mississaga Street West.
- Turn right onto Dunlop Street.
201 Georgian Drive, Barrie
480 Huronia Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 6M2
Use for fractures and lacerations as well as most common medical problems.
Note: The wait is generally much shorter than either Midland or Barrie Hospital Emergency Departments. Emergency physicians from the Royal Victoria Hospital in Barrie staff the Huronia Urgent Care Clinic.
- Go south on the 400, exit at the Essa road exit.
- Turn left at the lights,
- pass under the 400,
- turn right on Fairview Road and follow the road past the Holiday Inn.
- The road will bend to the left and turn into Big Bay Point Road.
- The clinic is on the southwest corner of Big Bay Point Road and Huronia Road (third intersection).
Medical Clinics (Barrie): 705-726-1544
Four locations, call for changes in hours
- 121 Wellington Street West
Monday to Thursday 8 am – 10 pm; Friday 8 am -6pm, Saturday, Sunday & Holidays, 10 am – 4 pm
- 125 Bell Farm Road
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 6 pm – 9 pm; Wednesday 2 pm – 10 pm; Saturday, Sunday & Holidays, 10 am – 4 pm
- 505 Yonge Street
Monday to Friday 8 am – 10 pm; Saturday, Sunday & Holidays, 10 am – 4 pm
- 555 Essa Road
Monday to Thursday, 1 pm – 8 pm; Friday, 1 pm – 6 pm; Saturday 10 am – 4 pm
6 Albert Street, Parry Sound
- Take Hwy 69 to Bowes Street Exit;
- go a few short blocks south to Albert Street.
- The hospital is on your left.
- Arrive at the Parry Sound town dock
- Use the payphone located at the Island Queen store to call for a cab to take you to the hospital on Albert Street.
- If it is an emergency, have the ambulance meet you at the Town Dock.
15 James Street, Parry Sound
57 James Street, Parry Sound
75 Bowes Street, Parry Sound
Call ahead to make sure the doctor is on duty, if not use the West Parry Sound Health Centre.
A few good ones are listed below. Other vets are listed in the telephone book should further resources be needed.
1831 Rumney Rd., Midland
It is off highway 12 near Port McNicoll, halfway to Midland from Honey Harbour. Highly recommended by several members of the community.
Georgian Animal Hospital: 705-746-8178
109 Bowes St, Parry Sound
Edward Street, Parry Sound
Located at the corner of Edward and Bowes streets, open 7 days a week, on call 24 hours, Dr. Natalie Eves